Sunday, January 4, 2015

Heartache and Heartbeats

This update has been a long time coming. I have thought about writing it for a few months now, and it has seemed like an overwhelming task. I have this great fear that the words that I write won't be able to do justice to what this experience was for me and my family. I do think it is a story worth telling, so I will give it my best shot. 

Brandon and I decided last spring that we were ready to have another baby. Neither of us have siblings that are close to us in age and we have always wanted that for our own children. 

I naively believed that the very first time we "tried", that would be that and we would be on our way to baby number 2. After all, we got pregnant with Noah while on birth control so obviously I assumed that Brandon and I have super baby-making abilities. 

Weeeeell... I was mistaken. It did not happen the first month and it didn't happen the six months after that either. By that time, I had turned into a "trying to conceive" monster. 

In my true control freak fashion, I was doing a lot of researching, temperature taking, charting, measuring, and stressing. I was not doing a lot of trusting God to bless us when the time was right. 

Let me take a minute to say that I know seven months of trying is nothing compared to the struggles of some couples. I do not for one second compare myself to those who suffer from infertility and have gone through hell and back to bring a child into their homes. I have a new found respect for those families and I will never again take for granted the ease we had when we were blessed with Noah. Every precious baby that is born is truly a miracle in my opinion.  

In early October to our joy and relief Brandon and I found ourselves staring at a positive pregnancy test. Hallelujah! We were ecstatic! But deep down inside me, for reasons I can't explain, something did not feel right. At the time, I just assumed it was nerves and anxiety that come with pregnancy. I know now that those feelings were preparing my heart for what was coming. 

Just a few days later, our dreams came crashing down. We lost that sweet baby before we got to see an ultrasound, or hear a heartbeat, before we could feel a movement, or pick out a name. It happened quickly and was nearly painless physically. It was early, but it was still a painful loss for our family. We had been hoping and dreaming about that baby for months and it was taken away as quickly as it came.

There were many ways that I felt very taken care of by God through that painful time. I was out of town with Noah visiting family the week before we found out and Brandon wasn't with us. We wanted to be together when we found out whether or not we were having a baby so I waited over a week longer than I could have to take the test. That is a whole lot of time in pregnancy world. That time would have made the loss so much more painful, and I am glad that I didn't know earlier. 

We were also on vacation with my family when the miscarriage started. It was a blessing in so many ways. Brandon was with me for the whole week since he was off work for vacation. We had family around to support us and to take care of Noah while we grieved. I love and appreciate the way God used these circumstances to comfort me and Brandon while we went through the loss of such a precious thing. 

Jump forward one month to the beginning of November. To our surprise, we found out that we were pregnant once again. It came as a shock because there had been no planning, charting, temp taking, etc. Imagine that! The one month that I didn't plan, it happened. Maybe God was trying to tell me something. 

I started going to a new doctor just before I found out I was pregnant. I was excited to find out that I could go in early, because I was anxious to know that everything was ok after what had just happened. I went in for an ultrasound at just under 5 weeks.  

The doctor couldn't see anything other than the gestational sac on the ultrasound. So she scheduled me for another ultrasound a week later. I wasn't too worried since it was so early, but the doctor seemed somewhat concerned.  The next week they told me again that they only saw a gestational sac. This was more concerning, because there should have been some change.

The doctor told us that the pregnancy was "non-viable" and scheduled me for a d&c the next day. She said that I could be having an ectopic pregnancy and that my life was in danger. I tried to ask about other options, but she made me feel like if I waited I would be putting myself at great risk and pressured me into consenting to the d&c. We were devastated once again.

All night long Brandon and I wrestled with what to do. We just didn't feel good about the diagnosis she made. There were several things that didn't add up. I was still so early. They didn't try any other tests to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. The ultrasound tech did not spend very much time looking for the baby. Brandon and I and a lot of people we love prayed hard over our decision. 


We decided to get a second opinion. I scheduled an emergency appointment with another doctor the next day and cancelled the d&c. If another doctor told us the same thing, we decided we would do what they said. 

At the new doctor, they took us for an ultrasound right away. The ultrasound tech had no idea why we were there, and she just went about her business. The first words out of her mouth were, "Here's your baby, and here is the HEARTBEAT"!!! I don't even know what words to use to describe my feelings. It was one of the most beautiful moments of my life. 

I have never been able to say that I hear the voice of God speaking to me regularly but there have been some key moments in my life that I know were guided by Him. This was definitely one of those times. I am not one to disregard the advice of a medical professional. I have always trusted that they know more than I do. If we had listened to what this doctor said, we would have unknowingly allowed her to abort our healthy child.

I know that Brandon and I were so unsettled about what to do because God has bigger plans for this baby. Whether he/she is with us for one more day or until he/she is 103 years old I praise God for the gift that this child is. I know that our prayers and the prayers of so many others on our behalf were heard. We felt such peace about our decision to get a second opinion, and I know that peace came from God. 

I have learned so much through this entire experience that began last spring. I learned once again that I am not in control (nor should I be). I learned that God's timing is better than my own. I learned to trust Him in ways that I haven't before. I learned to let Him comfort me in times of loss. Best of all, I learned to praise Him when I don't get what I want and praise Him when he intercedes for me in big ways.  

Every bit of the glory in this situation goes to God. It was not a doctor or my judgment that saved our baby. It was his/her creator. 

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, I am so happy for you. We had a pregnancy many years ago that ended in a baby delivered with multiple abnormalities not compatible with life. Like you the doctor wanted to terminate the pregnancy. Unlike you, I was 7 1/2 months along. After I was in the hospital, God took control and I went into labor and delivered the bay naturally. Even my doctor who is a God fearing man, was in awe. The nurses had to admit the we just don't know everything. During that time I felt God's presence in my life in a very real way. Even though it was devastating, I wouldn't trade it because of the trust in God that I learned. Love you and pray for an easy pregnancy and a healthy baby.

    ReplyDelete